Epilepsy is the main cause of seizures in pets and a commonly diagnosed neurological disorder that we see at our facility. Witnessing a seizure in your pet is a frightening experience, and it’s an event that any pet owner would want to understand and address right away.
The team at Lone Tree Veterinary Medical Center is here to help you navigate the difficult challenges that can occur during your pet’s life. Epilepsy can be one of those challenges and if it becomes a problem for your pet, helping you understand it is an important first step in managing it.Continue…
Although it may not be obvious just yet, Colorado’s flora and fauna will soon begin waking up after a long winter’s sleep. Homeowners everywhere are also preparing for the warmer days when there will be grass to mow, compost to turn, and landscaping to prune.
As we settle in for another season of tinkering around in our garage and backyard, it’s important to keep your pet’s safety in mind. Many of the chemicals we commonly use for outdoor maintenance can injure or even kill a pet. Although you may not expect your pet to get into trouble in your garage or yard, pets can be known to eat just about anything, so protecting them from outdoor pet toxins is essential.Continue…
In the greater Denver area and across Colorado and the West, wildfires are a serious concern, especially during a dry year. While it’s easy to understand the danger wildfires pose to people, homes and property, have you ever considered how wildfires affect our pets? The team at Lone Tree Veterinary Medical Center is here with tips for pet safety during the wildfire season!
Suffice it to say that evacuations don’t always occur at a time that’s convenient for us. That’s why it’s important to plan ahead and know how to care for your pet should the need arise. Continue…
Did you know that we now have our very own App? At Lone Tree Veterinary Medical Center, we recognize that the benefits of smartphone technology are far reaching for our patients and their families, and it’s our pleasure to bring this service to your fingertips. We are excited to announce the launch of our new Lone Tree Vet App, available free of cost, for both android and iPhone! You can download our new App by searching Lone Tree Vet in your App store or by simply following the links above.
As the summer progresses and temperatures continue to rise, it’s important for pet owners to take their pets’ well-being into consideration when it comes to heat-related dangers. Warm weather doesn’t mean we can’t have some fun in the sun with our pets; rather, it means that we need to be aware of the risks and plan ahead for their safety and well-being.
Hyperthermia in pets, also known as heat stroke, is one of the biggest warm weather risks facing pets in the summertime. Unlike humans, who can sweat through their skin, a pet’s only means for cooling their bodies is through oral panting and the small amount of sweat released through their paws. Knowing how to prevent hyperthermia in our pets is the first step toward making sure our furry loved ones stay cool and safe all summer long.
It’s no secret that water is vital to the existence of humans and animals, as well as most other living creatures. Water makes up about 70-80% of a pet’s total body mass and is critical for the proper functioning of each and every cell and system.
Even a small loss of a pet’s fluids can disrupt the body’s delicate balance and result in dehydration. If not corrected, dehydration will impair the body’s functioning and quickly become a medical emergency.
Our pets depend on us for pretty much everything, and most pet owners pride themselves on being able to provide what their pets need, as well as much of what they want. Many of us fall short, however, when it comes to planning for the unexpected, and this includes being prepared should your pet ever become injured.
At Lone Tree Veterinary Medical Center, we believe that having a well-stocked pet first aid kit, and knowing how to use it, is an essential part of emergency preparedness for any pet owner.
Creating a Pet First Aid Kit
We recommend that pet owners carry a pet first aid kit in their car and also keep one in an easily accessible location in the home. Pet first aid kits can be purchased ready-made from pet supply stores or online (here’s one we like) or you can make your own from scratch.
Every pet owner knows how much pets enjoy food. Unfortunately, sometimes this love of chewing and swallowing can get our pets into trouble, particularly when they ingest something inedible causing a GI obstruction.
In many cases, something a dog or cat ate will pass through the digestive tract with little to no trouble, but this is not always true. Any object can become lodged in a pet’s gastrointestinal (GI) tract (esophagus, stomach, or intestine), creating problems at any point along the way, including, the destruction of the area of the intestines where the foreign material is lodged. Continue…
Most people know that wild animals can carry rabies, but many of us don’t think it’s something that can affect our pets or us. Unfortunately, the reality of rabies is closer to home than many of us realize. The disease is present in every state (except Hawaii) and kills hundreds of pets, as well as a few humans, each year.
Understanding the link between rabies and pets is key in protecting your family, both two-legged and four, from this devastating illness. Continue…
Rattlesnakes are a fact of life around these parts. Most of us are aware of the dangers these reptiles pose to us as we hike and camp, or even while we putter around in our own backyards. Rattlesnakes and pets are a particularly disastrous combination, thanks to our pets’ curious nature and unpredictability.
Do you know what to do if you and your pet happen across a rattlesnake? Learning about rattlesnake safety for pets is key to protecting your furry loved one.
Rattlesnakes And Pets
A rattlesnake bite poses a serious risk to your pet. Once the venom is injected, it begins to act immediately. The blood vessels near the region of the bite are compromised, and an immune response causes severe swelling and pain. Because the venom also affects the blood’s ability to clot, large amounts of blood may be lost. The effects of the venom will lead to shock, and eventually death, if left untreated. Continue…